Tide Pods? I’ll Do You One Better.

For those of you who are unaware, batteries explode.

I think it is worth mentioning, do not try this at home. Taiwan News, shed some light about the video going viral of a man in a Chinese electronics store looking for a replacement battery for his phone last Friday, Jan 19, biting a battery to attribute for its authenticity, (much like one would bite into gold), and the battery promptly exploding in his hand.


I know it may be hard to believe, but a Lithium-Ion battery isn’t the safest thing in the world. I am, of course, referring to the cases of the notorious exploding hoverboards, or Samsung’s largest scale recall of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones. If It wasn’t clear already, it is entirely possible for a Li-ion battery to explode.

Although there has been no official word on what exactly happened to the battery when the victim bit in

to it, it’s speculated that he bit hard enough to jar the casing of the battery, which would cause the chemicals inside to heat up rapidly and cause a thermal explosion at around 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.


So, consider this your public service announcement; don’t bite batteries. It might even be best to treat all batteries with caution – you never know when or where the next incident could occur.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *